While it’s pretty easy to brew up your own Whole30 compliant coffee drinks at home, sometimes when you’re on the run (or just feeling a bit lazy), a visit to Starbucks is in order.
For many, a visit to Starbucks is a treasured part of the daily routine. There’s no reason to stop visiting while you’re doing Whole30, although your regular orders may have to go out the window for a while.
Lattes and Frappuccinos are out, but there’s still plenty to order from Starbucks for those who can’t get enough of the siren stuff. We’ll show you what you can and cannot drink at Starbucks while on Whole30!
Note: We always recommend checking ingredient lists yourself manually at Starbucks.com, as ingredients can change. This is especially true for food items.
What Is Whole30 Compliant At Starbucks?
Standard coffee is compliant at Starbucks, just like it is at home. Many hot brewed teas past the test too.
While you can’t sweeten up your coffees with syrup or milk, there are strategies for making compliant Whole30 coffee that packs some extra flavor punch. Bring your favorite compliant creamers to Starbucks and add them to your drink!
- Iced Coffee (Unsweetened) (Ingredients: Ice, Brewed Coffee)
Note: Be sure to order unsweetened iced coffee, since “Classic Syrup” (Sugar, Water, Natural Flavors, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid) is added automatically unless requested otherwise.
- Cold Brew Coffee (Ingredients: Brewed Coffee, Ice)
- Hot Brewed Coffee (Includes Blonde Roast, Dark Roast, Clover Brewed Coffee and Pike Place Roast)
- Decaf Pike Place Roast Coffee
- Americano (Ingredients: Water, Brewed Espresso) – iced is OK too
- Espresso (Ingredients: Brewed Espresso) – iced is OK too
- Comfort Wellness Tea (Ingredients: An Infusion Of [Water, Ginger, Orange Peel, Chamomile, Lemon Verbena, Spearmint, Rooibos, Licorice Root, Fennel, Natural Flavor, Peppermint, Orange Oil, Lemon Essence Oil])
- Emperor’s Cloud and Mist Green Tea (Ingredients: An infusion of [Water, Green Tea].
- Jade Citrus Mint Green Tea (Ingredients: An Infusion Of [Water, Green Tea, Spearmint Leaves, Lemon Verbena, Lemongrass, Natural Flavor])
- Mint Majesty Herbal Tea (Ingredients: An Infusion Of [Water, Spearmint Leaves, Peppermint Leaves, Lemon Verbena])
- Royal English Breakfast Tea (Ingredients: An Infusion Of [Water, A Blend Of Black Teas])
- Earl Grey Brewed Tea (Ingredients: An Infusion Of [Water, Black Tea, Bergamot Essence, Lavender Flowers])
Iced Teas (You Must Request Unsweetened)
Note: It’s very important to order your iced tea speficially as “unsweetened”, since “Liquid Cane Sugar” is added automatically unless requested otherwise. Usually baristas will ask your preference if they offer sweetened and unsweetened versions, but it’s best to simply add “unsweetened” to your order to be safe.
- Iced Peach Citrus White Tea – Features a blend of white teas and infusion of apples, licorice root, rose hips, orange peels, among others.
- Iced Pineapple Black Tea – A black tea blend with an infusion of apples, orange peels, licorice root, chamomile pollen, and citric acid.
- Iced Strawberry Green Tea – A blend of green teas with an infusion of apples, licorice root, hibiscus, rose hips, citric acid, and lemon grass.
- Iced Black Tea – This tea contains water and a blend of black teas.
- Iced Green Tea – This tea is an infusion of water, green tea blend, spearmint, lemon verbena, and lemongrass.
- Iced Passion Tango Tea – The passion iced tea contains water, hibiscus flowers, citric acid, cinnamon, apple, licorice root, lemon grass, and fruit juice extract.
Pro Tip: Ask for a steeped hot tea and a large cup of iced tea to create your own guaranteed compliant iced beverage, if you feel uncertain about your iced drink’s ingredients.
- Starbucks® Bottled Cold Brew Black, Unsweetened
- Starbucks® Iced Coffee Unsweetened
- Bottled Water
- Prosnax Gala Apples, Egg, White Cheddar Cheese, and Almonds Snack Box (compliant except for the cheese, which you can remove)
- Prosnax Carrots, White Cheddar Cheese, and Almonds Snack Tray (compliant except for the cheese, which you can remove)
- Avocado Spread (Ingredients: Haas Avocado, Sea Salt, Onion, Garlic, Jalapeno Pepper, Lime Juice)
- Justin’s Classic Almond Butter (Ingredients: Dry Roasted Almonds, Palm Oil)
- Almonds (check ingredients)
- RXBars (certain RXBars are compliant)
What You Can NOT Have At Starbucks:
- Passion Tango Herbal Tea (HOT). Passion Tango Tea is infused with candied papaya pieces and candied mango pieces which include sugar, so this tea is out! This can be confusing, since the iced passion tea is compliant (so long as you’re getting unsweetened).
- Peach Tranquility Herbal Tea (HOT). Peach Tranquility Tea is infused with candied pineapple as well as peach pieces with rice flour, so this tea is out as well.
- Oprah Chai Herbal Blend Brewed Tea (HOT). Contains Amaranth Grain, so it’s out.
- All Iced Teas NOT Listed Above. Don’t go near any shaken iced teas that are not listed above. Only the iced teas listed above are compliant (and even with those, make sure to ask for no syrup).
- Lemonades. There are several tea lemonade mixes (such as the Iced Black Tea Lemonade). None of the lemonade drinks are compliant, as they all have sugar.
- Other Coffees. No cafe latte, cafe mocha, cappuccino, macchiato, or mochas are compliant.
- Youthberry White Tea. Infused with candied fruit pieces, which contain sugar, disqualifying this item from the list.
- Shaken Berry Sangria Herbal Tea. Contains sugar.
- Strawberry Limeade Granita. Contains tons of sugar, most definitely out!
- No Frappuccinos. It probably goes without saying, but all Frappuccinos are out.
- Refreshers. None of the Refreshers (Cool Lime, Strawberry Acai, and Very Berry Hibiscus) are compliant.
Whole30 Starbucks Tips & Tricks
- Double Check Online. If you’re not sure about a specific Starbucks drink, be sure to check the Starbucks online nutrition menu, which provides complete details on each drink’s ingredients!
- Forget the Coconut Milk. While Starbucks does have coconut milk, it’s full of additives and isn’t compliant. Instead, bring your own compliant coconut milk from home or homemade almond milk!
- When Buying Packs, Read Labels Carefully. When buying tea (or any other drink) packs, make sure to read labels carefully, as ingredients can change slightly from what’s made on site vs. what’s sold in packs.
- Ask Questions and Repeat Back Order. Don’t be afraid to ask the barista questions if you’re not sure, and make sure to explain your order clearly and repeat it back.
Our Take On Navigating Starbucks on Whole30
Navigating your way around Starbucks while on Whole30 can be a bit tricky, especially as ingredients and sourcing changes in the future. Here’s our take on staying safe.
Your Best Picks
Even with changing ingredient lists and menus, it’s a pretty safe bet that these drinks will always remain compliant.
- Brewed Coffee, Americano, Espresso. These drinks are simply coffee beans + water, so they’ll always be compliant.
- Iced Coffee (Unsweetend). Iced coffee and cold brew are also safe bets, so long as you make sure that no sweeteners or syrups are being added. Baristas shouldn’t add syrup without asking you, but re-iterate to take extra precautions. You’ve worked hard – no reason to let a new barista mis-step throw you off track.
- Traditional Brewed Teas. Earl Grey, English Breakfast, and Green Tea are safe to go with. Just avoid any weird-sounding teas you’ve never heard of before.
Do you have any strategies for ordering at Starbucks while on Whole30? What are your Starbucks Whole30 secrets? Share your advice in the comments!
Whole30 Starbucks FAQs
Is the almond milk at Starbucks Whole30 approved?
No, the almond milk at Starbucks is not Whole30 friendly because it contains sugar and other additives. Instead, bring your own Whole30 compliant almond milk!
Is Starbucks pink drink Whole30 approved?
No, Starbuck’s Pink Drink is not Whole30 compliant because it contains added sugar in the Strawberry Acai base as well as in the coconut milk.
Is Starbucks Nitro cold brew Whole30 approved?
Can you have La Croix on Whole30?
Yes, La Croix is one of the best Whole30 drink beverages you can enjoy on the program!