Coconut milk is a major ingredient in any Whole30 diet, used from everything to flavoring Whole30 coffee to making a spicy thai sauce.
Today we’re providing details on where to find compliant Whole30 coconut milk, what to look for, as well as what to avoid.
Compliant Whole30 Coconut Milk Brands
These products sell Whole30 compliant coconut milk, so look for these brands in-store, or order them online (some can even be bought on Amazon, which is super convenient).
- Whole Foods 365 Brand Coconut Milk (Ingredients: Organic Coconut, Purified Water, Organic Guar Gum)[available at Whole Foods or online on Amazon]
- Thai Kitchen Organic Coconut Milk (Ingredients: Organic Coconut Milk, Water, Guar Gum.) [available for purchase on Amazon and commonly found in grocery stores]
- Native Forest Organic Coconut Milk (Ingredients: Organic Coconut Milk (Organic Coconut, Filtered Water, Organic Guar Gum).)[available for purchase on Amazon]
- Jiva Organics Unsweetened Coconut Milk (Ingredients: Coconut, Water) [available on Amazon]
- Four Elephants Organic Coconut Milk (Ingredients: Coconut Extract, Water, Guar Gum) [available on Amazon]
- Nature’s Greatest Foods Organic Coconut Milk (Ingredients: Organic Coconut Extract, Water) [available on Amazon]
- Thrive Organic Coconut Milk Lite (Ingredients: Organic Coconut Extract (25%) and Water) [available only at Thrive Market]
- Thrive Organic Coconut Milk Regular (Ingredients: Organic Coconut Extract (53%) and Water) [available only at Thrive Market]
- A Taste of Thai Unsweetened Coconut Milk (Ingredients: Coconut, Water, Guar Gum)[can be found at various grocery stores]
- Trader Joe’s Organic Coconut Milk (Ingredients: Organic coconut milk (water, organic coconut) [available at Trader Joe’s]
Whole30 Coconut Milk: What to Look For & What to Avoid
When searching the aisles for Whole30 compliant coconut milk, here’s what to keep an eye out for.
What to Look For:
- Canned Coconut Milk. Coconut milk in the carton is often packed with preservatives and additives. Instead, look for canned coconut milk, which often has far less strange ingredients.
- Unsweetened. Sweetened coconut milk is packed with added sugar. Instead, look for coconut milk that is labeled as “unsweetened”
What to Avoid :
- Sulfates. When you check your coconut milk’s ingredient list, make sure that it does not contain any form of sulfates. Potassium metabisulfate, for sample, is a common ingredient in canned coconut milk. This is not compliant on Whole30.
Don’t Be Afraid Of:
- Guar Guam. You don’t want to seek out guar gum, but it is allowed on Whole30. If you can find a brand without any guar gum, even better, but so don’t stress out if you can’t find a can of coconut milk without guar gum on the ingredient list. This is true for others gums – like xantham gum – too!
It should also be noted that coconut milk without any guar gum tends to be much more liquid than brands that do have guar gum. This is because guar gum acts as a thickening agent. While less is more on Whole30, and you should at least try guar-gum-free coconut milk, you may find the more liquid texture not as ideal, depending on what you’re using your coconut milk for.
Where to Find Coconut Milk In Stores
Canned coconut milk isn’t shelved near dairy milk since it doesn’t need to stay cool. Look for coconut milk in the Asian food section, or where grocery stores house their dressings, oils, and condiments.
Should I Buy Lite Coconut Milk?
Many coconut milk brands offer a lite version, which can confuse some Whole30-ers. So what exactly is lite coconut milk?
Lite coconut milk is simply coconut milk that has had more water added. Normal coconut milk is composed of blended coconut with water. Lite coconut milk is actually giving you less bang for your buck, as you’re purchasing a mix of more water and less coconut.
Economically, it makes more sense to buy regular coconut milk since it has more coconut and less water. However, is the lite version is the only compliant can you can find, or if you see it for much cheaper than classic coconut milk, it’s no problem to buy it. Many Whole30-ers are avid fans of Trader Joe’s Organic Lite Coconut Milk.
That’s it for our Whole30 coconut advice. Do you have any other favorite compliant coconut milk brands you’ve seen in-store? Share your picks in the comments!