Coconut oil is pretty awesome – and it’s no surprise why! Just check out these incredible facts about coconut oil!
- Coconut oil is loaded with (good) saturated fats. Coconut oil is loaded with saturated fats, with nearly 90% of fatty acids in coconut oil being saturated fats. There aren’t just any old fats though – they are Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs), which are used as a quick energy source and have even been shown to have positive health effects.
- Coconut oil can increase energy. One study has found that 15-30 grams of MCTs per day can increase energy expenditure by 5%, which adds up to losing an extra 120 calories per day!
- Coconut oil is good for hair and skin. Coconut oil is said to improve moisture and lipid content when applied topically to skin. It’s also been said to improve the health and shine of hair.
- Coconut oil can boost brain function. Some studies have shown that the fatty acids in coconut oil can boost brain function, even leading to some improved brain function in Alzheimer’s patients.
- Coconut oil can reduce abdominal fat. One study showed that adding 1 ounce of coconut oil per day into a diet reduced BMI and waist circumference.
- It can prevent seizures. Coconut oil has been shown in studies to reduce seizure in epileptic children
- It can reduce hunger. Coconut oil has been shown to reduce hunger cravings and help people stay fuller for longer periods of time. One study showed that men who ate MCTs at breakfast ate significantly fewer calories at lunchtime.
- It kills harmful pathogens. Coconut oil has been shown to kill harmful pathogens and possible prevent future infections, due to its lauric acid and monolaurin.
- Can cure UTI and Kidney Infections. In some cases, coconut oil has been known to heal urinary tract infections (UTIs) and kidney infections, as the oil functions as a natural antibiotic, disrupting the lipid coating on bacteria and destroying it.
- Levels out hormones. Studies have shown that coconut oil can have a positive effect on estrogen levels during menopause, with saturated fats and lauric acid working to balance hormones.
- Improves digestion. Coconut oil has been shown to improve digestion and increase gut health. Coconut oil helps the body absorb fat-soluble vitamins, calcium, and magnesium, and destroy bad bacteria.
- Prevents osteoporosis. Coconut oil’s high levels of antioxidants makes it a great natural treatment for osteoporosis. Research also shows that coconut oil can increase bon volume and decrease bone loss as a result of osteoporosis.
- It’s great for oral hygiene. Coconut oil has also been shown to kill harmful mouth bacteria, improve dental health, and reduce bad breath through a process referred to as oil pulling.
2 thoughts on “13 Facts About Coconut Oil”
How can I use heavy cononut milk for recipes? I saw a recipe about using heavy coconut milk on this site yesterday and now I can’t find it. Would you please help?
Hi there Marlene – are you referring to our article on Whole30 coconut milk (https://lifehealthhq.com/whole30-coconut-milk/)? Can’t say I’m sure what you are referring to.