For individuals with braces, water flossers are the best solution for removing plaque and food particles from between teeth.
But which are the best water flossers for braces? In this article we’ll be detailing the top picks of water flossers for those with braces.
Why Are Water Flossers Great For Braces?
- Prevents Decalcification. Decalcification is a common issue for those with braces. Decalcification affects tooth enamel, causing white spots on an individual’s teeth. This happens as a result of plaque and acid from eating and drinking, and often occurs in connection with braces as individuals have trouble cleaning certain areas of their teeth, which can then become decalcified.
- Prevent Gingivitis. Gingivitis is an early sign of gum disease due to plaque, with red, swollen gums that bleed easily. If unattended, gingivitis can grow into much more serious gum disease issues. Water flossers prevent gingivitis and build healthy gums – in fact, some studies have shown water flossers to be up to 3X as effective for removing plaque around braces vs. string floss.
- Easier Than Flossing. With braces, string flossing becomes very problematic. Water flossers are a much easier solution, and are also great at dislodging pieces of food that get stuck in braces.
Read on to learn about the best water flosser for braces – or read our post explaining how water flossers work in more detail if you’re looking to learn more about the ins and outs of water flossers.
Best Water Flosser For Braces: Quick Picks
Below is a snapshot of our top picks for the best water flossers for braces. Continue reading below for more detailed reviews highlighting features, advantages, and disadvantages of various units.
|Water Flosser For Braces||Our Rating||Price|
|1. Waterpik Aquarius Water Flosser||$$$|
|2. Waterpik Water Flosser For Kids||$|
|3. Waterpik w/ Sonic Toothbrush||$$$|
|4. Gurin Rechargeable Oral Irrigator||$$|
About: The Waterpik Aquarius is an electric water flosser unit that comes with a collection of tips for different uses, as well a pacer and timer unit to ensure you floss for the appropriate amount of time!
Price: $$$ (see prices from Amazon)
Our Rating: 4.5/5
- On/Off Control on Handle. This Waterpik has an on/off water control on the handle of the unit for easier use.
- 2 Modes. Has two water flossing modes – floss and massage.
- 7 Water Flosser Tips. This unit comes with 7 water flosser tips, including an orthodontic water flosser tip specifically designed for braces, a plaque seeker tip for implants, bridges, and crowns, and a pik pocket tip for periodontal pockets and furcations.
- Various Pressure Settings. Change the pressure of the Waterpik to a level that is comfortable for you and your gums.
- US Voltage. The voltage is for US only (120V, 60Hz). International voltage is different.
- Warranty. Comes with 3 year warranty.
- Small Footprint. This unit’s footprint is 4 3/4″ x 3 3/4″ which means it will take up a fairly small amount of space on your bathroom counter compared to other models.
- Timer. Features 1-minute pause timer and 30-second pacer to make sure that you use the water flosser for the recommended amount of time and don’t stop too soon!
PROS: This unit has a lot of nice bonus features, such as the timer that pauses the Waterpik, allowing you to easily keep track of how long you’ve been water flossing. This Waterpik also comes with a unique tip designed for those with braces, making it a really great water flosser for braces. Additionally, this unit is lightweight and has pretty small footprint, so it will easily fit in your bathroom.
CONS: While the lightweight nature of this unit can be seen as a plus, some see it as a disadvantage, claiming that the light weight makes the unit feel less substantial. Some also feel that this newer Aquarius unit isn’t as ergonomically friendly as its predecessor. Some individuals who have purchased this newer Aquarius Waterpik unit actually prefer the older Waterpik Ultra model.
Note: Because the Waterpik Ultra is an outdated model, it is not offered through Amazon directly. However, you can still purchase this unit through a 3rd party if you prefer, although because of going through a 3rd party, it will likely be as expensive as the newer unit.
About: The Waterpik Kids Flosser is designed specifically with children in mind, with three easy to use pressure settings, fun stickers to personalize the water flosser, and a water tip designed for cleaning between braces.
Price: $ (see specific pricing from Amazon)
Our Rating: 4/5
- Designed Specifically For Children. This Waterpik water flosser is designed especially for children ages 6 to 12. It uses a kid-proof electrical design to keep kids safe while using it.
- 3 Pressure Settings. This unit contains three different water pressure settings.
- Compact, colorful.
- 2 Year Warranty. Includes two year warranty with purchase.
- Great for Braces. Contains orthodontic tip designed for getting between braces (along with one other classic jet tip for general cleaning).
- Fingertip Controls. Uses easy-to-use fingertip controls on the on/off switch and pressure control system.
- Fun Decals. Comes with 20 removable cling decals that children can use to personalize their Waterpik, adding an element of fun.
PROS: As users note, the main difference between this unit and the adult unit is the size and the number of attachments (the kid unit is smaller and contains 2 attachments vs. 7 for the adult unit). The Waterpik for Kids unit has a smaller footprint, taking up less space on the counter. For this reason, some adults actually prefer this kid unit for themselves over the adult version (as many note, the attachments aren’t all that important).
CONS: Because this Waterpik Kids unit is smaller, it also holds less water, which can be annoying. Some note that this unit also feels flimsier.
About: The Cordless Waterpik with Sonic Electric Toothbrush is a great value collection for anyone in need of both a water flosser and an electric toothbrush! It also comes with a orthodontic tip designed for braces.
Price: $$$ (see specific pricing from Amazon)
Our Rating: 4/5
- Includes Toothbush. Nano-Sonic Toothbrush with AAA battery included.
- North America Only. This unit is compatible with a 120VAC/60Hz outlet and is for use in North America only.
- Ultra Portable. This battery-powered water flosser is rechargeable and is portable, making it perfect for use in smaller bathrooms or for travel.
- More Effective Than Floss For Braces. Up to 3X as effective for removing plaque around braces when comparing water flosser vs. string floss.
- 4 Different Tips. This water flosser model comes with 2 Classic Jet Tips, 1 Plaque Seeker Tip, and 1 Orthodontic Tip.
- 2 Speeds. Has the ability to be set to two different speeds, allowing you to choose the water pressure level that works best for your gums.
PROS: Very easy to use, lightweight and extremely portable. Whereas other units are large, bulky, and sit on countertops, this model is small enough to travel and can be maneuvered. Some fans of this model have also reported adding mouth wash or antibacterial to the water in the reservoir.
CONS: This model has been reported to be somewhat messy, with some users reporting that water runs down their arms while they are using the Waterpik. Another big issue with this model is that you constantly are refilling the water reservoir since it only holds about 45 seconds worth of water in its tank.
About: The Gurin Rechargable Water Flosser is ideal for those who need a portable unit – this device uses batteries to charge, rather than an electrical plug-in power source.
Price: $$ (see specific pricing from Amazon)
- Rechargeable Batteries. Features rechargeable batteries so that you can use this water flosser without the hassle of cords.
- Quiet Motor. Uses a quiet motor, making less noise than previous models.
- BPA Free. This water flosser for braces is BPA free and FDA approved.
- Extra Large Reservoir. Has an extra large capacity water reservoir that is very easy to refill.
- 3 Operating Modes. Has three operating modes: normal, soft, and pulse. Also comes with two color coded, interchangeable tips that are ideal for multiple users.
- Universal Voltage. This water flosser unit uses universal voltage, 100 to 240 V~50/60Hz.
PROS: This unit contains a larger water reservoir, making it easy to fill up the water and not have to constantly be refilling it.
CONS: Most users have favorable things to say, although some found that the unit would stop working after 3 months.
Do you see your favorites missing? Share your top picks for the best water flosser for braces in the comments!