Looking for a little help encouraging your kid to brush their teeth at night? There are many electric toothbrushes catering to children, with music, character-themed designs, and other bonuses made to help make brushing fun for youngsters.
First we’ll talk about a few different things to look for in a kid’s electric toothbrush, and then go on to highlight our top picks.
Best Kid Electric Tooth Brushes: Quick Picks
See our quick picks here, or keep reading for full reviews and more details.
|Philips Sonicare for Kids Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush, Blue HX6321/02||2,002 Reviews||$49.99 $39.97||Buy on Amazon|
|Oral-B Kids Battery Powered Electric Toothbrush Featuring Disney STAR WARS with Extra Soft Bristles,...||710 Reviews||$5.99 $4.89||Buy on Amazon|
|Oral-B Pro-Health Stages Disney Princess Power Kid's Toothbrush 1 Count||652 Reviews||$6.13 $4.97||Buy on Amazon|
|Oral-B Kids Electric Rechargeable Power Toothbrush Featuring Disney's Frozen, includes 2 Sensitive...||1,173 Reviews||$41.38||Buy on Amazon|
|Oral-B Kid's Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush featuring Disney & Pixar's Cars (packaging may vary)||213 Reviews||$49.70||Buy on Amazon|
|Brusheez Kid's Electric Toothbrush Set - Prancy the pony - Includes Battery-Powered Toothbrush, 2...||892 Reviews||$19.99||Buy on Amazon|
What to Look For In a Kid-Friendly Electric Toothbrush
- Music. Many toothbrushes geared towards kids will play a song when the child brushes, helping to make brushing a fun and exciting activity.
- Colors. Kid-oriented toothbrushes often feature bright colors that children will find appealing. Seek out electric toothbrushes that sport your kid’s favorite colors to make it a favorite staple in the bathroom.
- Timer. While it’s not a feature that all kid-themed toothbrushes have, a built-in timer can be really handy when it comes to establishing good brushing habits at a young age. Statistics show that many adults don’t brush nearly long enough, with few hitting the recommended 2-minute mark. Teaching your child to brush for the recommended amount of time can help ensure a lifelong practice of good brushing!
As a bonus, some toothbrushes combine music and timers, such as a toothbrush that plays a certain song or jingle until the 2 minutes of brushing time is up.
- Character Themes. Some electric toothbrushes will feature characters from children’s television shows or movies on the handle. This is an easy way to make a toothbrush much more interesting and valuable in the eyes of a kid. If you happen to find a brush with your child’s favorite characters emblazoned on the brush, make sure to grab it!
- Stickers. Some brushes include stickers that kids can put on their brush to customize it and make the brush their own!
- Companion App. Several brushes in this list have companion apps that are free with the toothbrushes. These apps often will animate the brush’s characters and offer badges or incentives for when kids complete their brushing routine. Many parents note that these gamification apps work wonders on getting their kids excited about brushing!
What Age Should I Have My Kid Start Brushing Their Teeth?
Most dentists recommend that you should brush your child’s teeth at least until they reach age 6 – more or less, until they have enough coordination to tie their own shoes. Young kids can also be too hard on their teeth and potentially damage their soft tissue, so it’s better to brush for them.
Some younger kids may want to brush themselves – it’s fine to let them practice, but make sure to follow up with a proper cleaning yourself!
Top Picks for Best Children’s Electric Toothbrush (2018 Reviews)
The Philips Sonicare Toothbrush For Kids brings all the quality and nifty tech features of the popular Sonicare brand to kids!
- 98 percent of parents say it's easier to get kids to brush longer and better with the interactive sonic power toothbrush
- 91 percent of dental professional parents prefer Sonicare for Kids for their own children
- Interactive free app educates and gets kids excited about brushing. Kids are rewarded for each successful brushing session while parents can track and monitor progress
- The kidpacer musically alerts when to move to the next quadrant of the mouth to ensure a thorough cleaning
- The kidtimer gradually increase to 2 minutes to help train kids to brush for the dental professional recommended 2 minutes
This toothbrush has some cool stats surrounding it – 98% of parents report that it’s easier to get their kids to brush their teeth with this brush (although you might find similar stats for any kid-friendly brush with the features we detailed above).
Included with this toothbrush is a free interactive app that rewards kids for each brushing session they complete, adding a nice element of gamification.
The brush uses a 2-minute timer to ensure that your child brushes for the recommended amount of time. Similar to the higher-end adult electric toothbrushes, this brush gives a pulse every 30 seconds to remind children to move the brush to the next teeth quadrant.
As a bonus, the brush also comes with stickers that allow kids to customize their toothbrush and make it their own!
PROS: Kids seem to adore the musical alerts, and parents note that the accompanying app really works when it comes to motivating their kids to brush regularly. Kids are psyched to earn badges for completing brushing sessions!
CONS: Users note that if your child is under 5, you should probably purchase the smaller brush heads that can be put onto this brush, as the brush heads that come with this unit, while smaller than the adult brush heads, may be too small for very young children. Some also report major issues with mold growing behind the faceplate, but others don’t seem to have this issue, so the problem may depend on how often you clean the device.
Oral-B Disney Pro-Health Star Wars Electric Toothbrush
- Rotating Power Head reaches, surrounds, and thoroughly cleans multiple surfaces while raised center-row bristles help clean chewing surfaces. Battery Operated (Best with Polaroid AA Batteries)
- Extra-soft bristles clean as gently as a soft manual brush
- Kids brush 100% longer with the Disney Magic Timer by Oral-B
- Use with Crest Kid’s Toothpaste featuring Disney's STAR WARS characters
- Characters and color may vary: Orders may receive Yoda (Color: Green), Darth Vader (Color: Red), or Stormtrooper (Color: Red)
This kid-friendly toothbrush from Oral-B is perfect for your youngling Jedi-in-training.
This battery-powered brush features three different designs: Yoda Green, Darth Vader Red, or Stormtrooper Red.
While the brush does not come with its own vibrating timer, it does come with the Disney Magic Timer App by Oral-B. If kids use the app while they’re brushing, the app will start a 2-minute timer to keep kids brushing for the full recommended amount of time.
Disney’s app, similar to the Philips Sonicare Kids app, offers rewards and incentives for kids to complete their daily brushing routine.
Characters from the toothbrush are animated within the Disney app, allowing your kid to engage with his or her favorite characters!
PROS: Parents agree that this brush gets their kids excited to brush their teeth.
CONS: The toothbrush head can’t be replaced, so once you’ve used this brush for a couple months, it’s time to toss it. It also seems that buyers are unable to choose the character they want on Amazon, which is a bit of a bummer.
Oral-B Pro-Health Disney Princess Power Electric Toothbrush
- Rotating PowerHead: Action that reaches, surrounds and cleans multiple surfaces for a thorough clean.
- Raised center-row bristles: Positioned to clean chewing surfaces.
- Interdentally tips: Longer to get between teeth.
- Extra-soft bristles: Soft bristles for a gentle cleaning.
- Disney Princess characters: Popular characters make brushing fun for your child.
This brush is basically the same as the version mentioned above, except that this brush features Disney princess characters, rather than Star Wars characters.
Oral-B Frozen Kids Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush
- Its distinct shape allows the toothbrush head to surround each tooth for individual cleaning
- With a waterproof handle, this electric toothbrush uses a Sensitive Clean toothbrush head for a gentle brushing
- Makes it a breeze for your kids to develop healthy brushing habits
- Use it with the Disney Magic Timer App by Oral-B, and your kids will enjoy brushing along with their favorite Frozen characters
This is another electric toothbrush from Oral-B, but rather than being battery powered and disposable, this brush can be used long-term with its rechargeable battery and replaceable brush heads.
As with the other Oral-B kids brushes, this brush can be synced to the Disney Magic Timer App, which allows kids to interact with their favorite Frozen characters.
This toothbrush also has a built-in vibration timer indicator – a short pause occurs every 30 seconds to indicate that it’s time to move to the next mouth quadrant, and then pulses twice once the total 2 minutes are up.
It’s recommended that parents replace the brush heads every 3 months. Indicator bristles will wear down halfway to indicate when it’s time for a replacement.
We do think it’s a bit strange that only the packaging is really Frozen themed – the toothbrush design simply features some stars and swirls.
PROS: Most parents find that this is a great toothbrush for getting their kids to brush regularly.
CONS: Users note that this type of toothbrush isn’t best for continuously moist climates, as this increases the brush’s susceptibility to growing mold. Some also note that they wish the brush holder had some kind of light to indicate charge status.
Oral-B Rechargeable Disney Toothbrush With Pixar’s Cars or Dory
- From Oral-B, #1 brand used by dentists worldwide.
- Rotating power toothbrush head reaches, surrounds, and thoroughly cleans multiple surfaces.
- Extra-soft bristles clean as gently as a soft manual brush.
- Designed for kids 3+ years of age. Rechargeable battery lasts up to 5 days (2 minutes/2 times a day)
- Ergonomic handle designed for children's small hands.
This brush is quite similar to the one above, with the major difference being this brush’s unique and colorful handle design. With this brush, the entire unit is covered in bright colors and fun, engaging shapes meant to appeal to kids.
The brush comes with a very small head, designed for small mouths (3+). This brush also promises to last 5 days on a single charge with its electric rechargeable battery.
The Oral-B Disney electric toothbrush also features 16 different melodies, with a signal to indicate when kids should switch from the top of their mouth to the bottom.
As with other Oral-B kids models, this brush comes with an app that offers rewards and incentives for kids to brush their teeth. However, this model offers built-in timers, rather than relying solely on the app for a timer.
PROS: Parents note that kids love the engaging app as well as the fun melody that plays while brushing!
CONS: Buyers are frustrated that you are unable to select which character design you want – at least on Amazon.
Brusheez Children’s Electric Toothbrush
- MAKES BRUSHING FUN: Cute and colorful animal-themed set is perfectly designed to make brushing easy and fun for little brushers ages 3 and up
- PROMOTES GOOD BRUSHING HABITS: Fun 2-minute sand timer encourages children to brush long enough to thoroughly clean their teeth and gums
- SAFE & EFFECTIVE CLEANING: Battery-powered toothbrush removes up to 2x more plaque than a manual toothbrush | Uses 2 AA batteries (not included)
- VERSATILE STAND: Great for sink countertop or easily mounts on the wall (Includes hardware to safely mount the toothbrush set on your bathroom wall)
- WHAT YOU GET: Battery-powered children’s toothbrush, animal-themed brush cover, rinse cup, replacement brush head, 2-minute sand timer, stand, user manual, printed brushing chart, and industry-leading 5 Year Warranty.
The Brusheez Children’s Electric Toothbrush definitely is the most fun-looking brush out of all on the list!
This toothbrush features a design based on “Prancy the Pony”, a bright pink colored horse with a pony-headed cap. The set comes with a unique toothbrush base that includes a 2-minute sand timer, a water cup holder, as well as a spare toothbrush head.
The brush uses two AA batteries that can be replaced. Brush heads can also be replaced after a few months of use.
PROS: Parents note that kids love the design and are especially fond of the sand timer.
CONS: Users note that the on/off button requires more finger power than a 3-year old can manage, although most parents would still be brushing their kid’s teeth at that age anyway.
Have you used any of these electric toothbrushes to encourage your kids to brush more regularly? How did they work out? Share your thoughts in the comments!
Last update on 2019-02-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API