So you’ve started your intermittent fasting journey.
Whether you’ve been an IF-er for a year, a month, or just the last 12 hours, listening to podcasts on the subject is a great way to enhance your knowledge and learn the ins and outs of this lifestyle.
There are very few complete podcast series devoted to the topic. But those out there are worth a listen and provide a variety of styles and content.
We’ve lined up our favorites, along with descriptions, our comments, and links to favorite episodes. Some noteworthy IF podcasts are no longer actively releasing new episodes but are worth including in your IF library.
We’ve also checked out some of our favorite general health podcasts and listed a few with excellent single episodes on the topic of intermittent fasting.
Download these selections and start listening while you’re driving, working, exercising, or just trying to hold on to a few more hours of clean fasting time!
4 Best Intermittent Fasting Podcasts
1. The Intermittent Fasting Podcast
Format: The Intermittent Fasting Podcast addresses all things related to living an intermittent fasting lifestyle. The co-hosts spend time conversing about their own successes and practices with IF.
They frequently interview experts in the field and a large portion of their podcast episodes center on questions from listeners, often grouped by topic for a particular podcast.
Podcast Status: Active – new episodes are released on Mondays each week (each episode is approximately one hour in length). Over 100 episodes available.
About the Co-Hosts:
Melanie Avalon is an actress and the author of What, When, Wine: Lose Weight and Feel Great with Paleo-Style Meals, Intermittent Fasting, and Wine. She is an avid One-Meal-a Day (OMAD) faster, along with being a guru of all things paleo and gut-health related. Melanie reached out to Gin Stephens to team up for this podcast back in 2017 and takes the lead with narration and topics for the podcast.
Gin Stephens is the author of Delay, Don’t Deny: Living an Intermittent Fasting Lifestyle and Feast without Fear: Food and the Delay Don’t Deny Lifestyle. She is a recently retired elementary school teacher and holds a doctorate degree in Gifted and Talented Education. Gin manages several popular Facebook groups for intermittent fasting. She has lost over 80 pounds with her method of IF, and has maintained her loss for several years.
- Excellent information presented in easy-to-understand terms
- Great links and show notes for reference after each episode
- Co-host “chat time” can sometimes go on for a bit too long
- As sponsorship has increased, so has “commercial” time!
- Some listeners have a tough time with Melanie’s detail and Gin’s accent, but we enjoy their personal touch!
- IF Podcast Episode 3: Top 5 Intermittent Fasting Benefits, Autophagy
- IF Podcast Episode 45: The Coffee Episode-Part 1 (and try Part 2 as well)
- IF Podcast Episode 61 Ori Hofmekler Interview-The Warrior Diet
- IF Podcast Episode 97: Interview with Dr. Anna Cabecca, author of The Hormone Fix
2. Intermittent Fasting Stories
Format: On the Intermittent Fasting Stories Podcast the host, Gin Stephens, interviews a successful intermittent faster each week. The guest for the week shares an inspiring story, their background, health issues, struggles, and tips for fellow IF-ers.
Podcast Status: Active – new episodes are released on Thursdays each week (each are approximately 50 minutes in length). Over 20 episodes are available.
About the Host: Gin Stephens is the author of Delay, Don’t Deny: Living an Intermittent Fasting Lifestyle and Feast without Fear: Food and the Delay Don’t Deny Lifestyle. Interestingly, Gin herself admittedly was not previously a fan of podcasts, turning to books for her information. However, she believes in the power of the inspirational stories her guests share.
Gin manages several popular Facebook groups on Intermittent Fasting, with over 100,000 members combined. Most notably, Delay Don’t Deny: Intermittent Fasting Support Group, and One Meal a Day: IF Lifestyle Group
- Inspirational interviews with very real, down-to-earth people.
- Host adds her own expertise where appropriate, but does not overpower the interview.
- Straight interview format each week with little variation.
- Host’s accent and laugh are notable (and fun)!
- Some guests seem to have poor quality sound, making some episodes difficult to get through.
- IF Stories #12 Melissa Wages. Pediatric dentist shares her success and also talks about IF and teeth health!
- IF Stories #1 Kim Smith. Premier episode with one of Gin’s followers who co wrote her own book with her husband, Unbelievable Freedom.
3. The Obesity Code Podcast: Lessons & Stories From the Intensive Dietary Management Program
Format: Narrated by Carl Franklin, this podcast features segments with Dr. Jason Fung and Dr. Megan Ramos as well as excerpts of interviews with special guest experts.
Most of the talk on the podcast centers on intermittent fasting as well as extended-fasting methods as a technique for weight loss and healing from a variety of health concerns. In most episodes a patient who is part of their intensive dietary management program (an online coaching program for fasting and weight-loss), shares parts of their journey and fasting approach.
Unlike some of the other podcasts, the Obesity Code Podcast openly discusses the idea of medically supervised extended fasts. It tackles difficult weight loss struggles, a variety of fasting techniques, diabetes, and long term plans for achieving healthy weight and healing from other medical issues.
Podcast Status: Listed as On Hiatus – no new episodes in production (available episodes are 30 minutes to 1 hour in length). Over 20 episodes.
About the Co-Hosts:
Dr. Jason Fung is a Toronto-based Nephrologist (kidney specialist) who has published several books including The Obesity Code and The Complete Guide to Fasting, and most recently, The Longevity Solution. He is know for his expert yet easy-to-understand explanations of insulin resistance and fasting methods and benefits.
Dr. Megan Ramos is a clinical researcher and the co-founder of the Intensive Dietary Management Program. She became passionate about fasting and dietary protocols for health and weight benefits after being diagnosed with diabetes herself back in 2012.
- Excellent information presented in easy-to-understand terms, with science-backed data.
- Guests are often dealing with both weight and other health issues, so a broad variety of topics are addressed.
- Whole segments of some podcasts include mini-presentations by the doctors and guest experts.
- Interviews are most often not live and seem heavily edited.
- Both Dr. Fung and Dr. Ramos have clear, “easy-listening” voices.
- Sometimes the extended jazzy music segments, interspersed throughout the episodes can seem corny and out-of-place.
- Obesity Code Podcast #15: Live Q&A with the doctors on fasting and autophagy.
- Obesity Code Podcast #25: Energy Balance-Dr. Fung explains why the calorie-centered model for weight loss doesn’t work (and other topics).
4. Fasting Talk with Jimmy Moore & Friends
Format: The Fasting Talk with Jimmy Moore & Friends episode format changes after episode #23 – but both format styles are worth a listen.
The first 23 episodes include Dr. Fung and/or Dr. Megan Ramos, who join Jimmy in answering questions and sharing their expertise.
Starting with episode #24, the format shifts to a testimonial-style show with just Jimmy conducting interviews with successful fasters who have tried intermittent, alternate day, and extended fasting. Jimmy shares his wealth of knowledge on the subject and engages in conversations with a variety of people from all walks of life.
Podcast Status: No longer in production – although there are no new episodes in production, this podcast was once #1 (in 2017) for all things related to fasting. There are 43 episodes (about 40 minutes to 1 hour each in length) to download and enjoy.
About the Host:
Jimmy Moore is an experienced podcaster in the health world (The Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb Show, Keto Talk, Ask The Low-Carb Experts, and Low-Carb Conversations), blogger, international speaker, and author of the 2016 International bestselling book, he co wrote with Dr. Jason Fung, The Complete Guide to Fasting . He has years of experience and knowledge about fasting and a compelling personal fasting history which offers tips for how to approach your first fast and how to attempt extended fasts.
- Unlike some of the other podcasts, Jimmy really addresses all aspects and types of fasting. Nothing is off-limits regarding lengths of fasts or reasons for fasting.
- Very pleasant, friendly, upbeat style. Jimmy makes you feel like you are talking with an old friend while still including excellent science-backed information.
- Episode #23 is a bit odd because it’s just a replay of Jimmy’s narration of the 5 fasting success stories featured in The Complete Guide to Fasting. Skip it.
- Fasting Talk Podcast Episode #1 – Initial episode with Dr. Fung and Megan Ramos with some great listener questions.
- Fasting Talk Podcast Episode #15 – Great episode addressing wide variety of topics with Jimmy and Dr. Megan Ramos.
- Fasting Talk Podcast Episode #41 – Interesting episode with guest Jeanette Louise who discusses working out in a fasted state and ADF (alternate day fasting).
Individual Fasting Episodes From Other Podcast Series
The podcasts above are great, but there are also some solid single podcast episodes from other podcast series we recommend checking out. These are great choices for individual podcast episodes on intermittent fasting from a variety of popular health-related podcasts.
- The Rich Roll Podcast Episode #367: Fasting for Longevity with Valter Longo
- The Low Carb MD Podcast Episode #6: Interview with Dr. Jason Fung (toward the end, Dr. Fung addresses the TV Show-Biggest Loser Contestants’ famous study-don’t miss it!)
- Bulletproof Podcast Episode #367: Why You Shouldn’t Fear Fasting with Dr. Jason Fung and Jimmy Moore
- Find My Fitness Podcast January 17, 2019 Episode: Fasting Q and A with Dr. Rhonda Patrick and Mike Maser
What to do while trying to fast just a few more minutes or hours? Queue-up one of these podcasts and learn all you can about the amazing health and weight loss benefits of an IF lifestyle!
Have any other favorite intermittent fasting podcasts or podcast episodes you want to share? Comment with your top picks below!